Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Shirley’s Spiced Peaches

As I mentioned earlier, I waxed nostalgic at my Boxing Day Brunch this year, using recipes both old and new, both sentimental, and not, and it made for an interesting meal.

Every brunch, I think, should have fruit as one of its offerings. I chose to use a recipe that I have had for many years, and that my mom had pretty much since she was first married. This recipe called Spiced Peaches was given to her by maid of honor, Shirley Fick. It's spicy, and zingy, and very good. I’ve tried it with both fresh and canned peaches and, honestly, the canned work better. Obviously this is an amazingly easy dish to put together, pretty much all you have to do is open a couple of cans. Don’t let the canned fruit deter you from trying it. It is wonderful.
Shirley’s Spiced Peaches

1 cup vinegar
1 cup honey
3 whole cloves
3
Melissa’s cinnamon sticks
6 cups canned peaches
1 can Bing cherries, drained
1/2 cup apricot brandy (or any kind of brandy)

Mix together vinegar, honey, cloves, and cinnamon in a large pan. Place over medium heat, bring to a simmer, and cook about 10 minutes. Add peaches and cherries and heat through. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Chill several hours or overnight. (Note: I have found that the flavor intensifies the longer you keep it. These will last 5-7 days in the fridge.)

Shirley mentions in the recipe that it is wonderful when served from a chafing dish, but can also be offered at both room temperature or chilled. She adds that it goes well with pork, ham, or lamb.
Shirley is on the far left; my mom is the one with the toothy grin (or maybe it's terror).


This post is linked to:

6 comments:

bensonb said...

Hi. Love your blog. The recipe says 6 cups "pecans" - I'm sure you mean the peaches. Also, after mixture is cooled is that when you put in the peaches and for how long? I always loved spiced peaches but could never find a good recipe.

Raquel said...

Might want to check your recipe. you call for 6 cups of canned pecans instead of peaches and the instructions are a bit lacking!

Thelma said...

Looks delicious. Thanks for sharing

Linda said...

My Mom would have loved this! I bet canned peaches do work better.

Miz Helen said...

My Grandmother made delicious Spiced Peaches and this reminds me of her. I would love to try your recipe! Hope you are having a great week and thanks so much for sharing your awesome post with us at Full Plate Thursday. We look forward to seeing you again real soon!
Miz Helen

Sandra Lee said...

This sounds like a perfect winter pairing for a hearty meal. Thank you for sharing with us this week at Celebrate Your Story, have a great weekend.