Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Mexican Street Corn Off the Cob


My mom did all of the cooking while I was growing up; dad didn't even know how to boil water. So, I get more than a little pleasure at now hearing him talk about food. He has been on his own for over three years, and has become quite the microwave master. He also manages to give me weekly reports on the cheapest place to buy produce, and loves his corn on the cob.

The other day he told me that he added fresh corn to his daily [mountainous] salad and loved it. Suddenly I was taken back to Mr. O-P's and my trip to Italy. We were in a cafe in Florence, I had ordered a salad, and mounded in the middle was a pile of fresh corn. It was wonderful. If you want to make a salad extra hardy, freshly stripped corn is certainly one way to do it. Dad always picks up extra corn for me (on sale), so I had fun experimenting with it this week.

This recipe is from local food columnist Helen Fletcher who, like me, loves Mexican Street Corn, but does not love wearing it. She created this recipe (that appeared in local foodie magazine, Sauce) to keep herself clean and still enjoy her corn. It is so yummy!  Because it had been raining here for forty days and forty nights (okay, three), I wasn't able to use the outdoor grill, so just charred the corn in the broiler. This worked out just fine.

Mexican Street Corn Off the Cob

Slighted adapted from Sauce Magazine
2 cups corn (about four large ears)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
3/4 cup crumbled cotija cheese
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
Remove the husks and silk from the corn. Place the corn over a medium-sized fire and grill, turning every four minutes or so until nicely charred on all sides and the corn is tender crisp. Cool.
Cut the corn from the cob, and combine with the red pepper, cilantro, and cheese. Mix the mayonnaise and lime juice, stirring it into the corn mixture.
Let the salad sit at room temperature for several hours to allow the flavors to come together.
Serves 4 
This post is linked to:

1 comment:

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

This sounds wonderful. I am going out and buy some corn and make this. thanks so much for this recipe.

Have a great weekend Pattie.

Mary