Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Baked German Potato Salad

As anyone will tell you, "firsts" after losing someone tend to be quite difficult. Fourth of July was the first holiday I would be observing (I won't say "celebrating") without Mr. O-P. I could have just stayed in bed and wallowed in self-pity, binge-watching episodes of "Midsomer Murders," and, actually, did, but then I got up, simmered some beer brats, and made Baked German Potato Salad.

Mr. O-P loved his potato salad. He loved it cold, made with red potatoes sliced into thin slices, hard boiled egg, a bit of celery and onion, salt and pepper, and mayonnaise...and nothing else. I love potato salad of every variety, so tried, over the years, to introduce him to something new, but he just wouldn't have it. So, I had to smile to myself while making this warm, German version. I adapted this recipe from one I found on the Taste of Home
website. I halved the amount of potatoes, used scallions instead of the called for onions because it was all I had, and cider vinegar instead of white because I like the extra zing. Next time I'll double the sauce because I tend to like my potato salad a bit saucier.
Baked German Potato Salad 
Adapted from Taste of Home


5 bacon strips
2 scallions, white and green parts, chopped
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
½ cup water, divided
¼ cup cider vinegar
¼ cup sweet pickle juice
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon celery seed
2-1/2 teaspoons flour

In a saucepan, cook potatoes until just tender; drain. Peel and slice into ¼” slices and place in an ungreased 1-qt. baking dish; set aside.

In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp; drain bacon, reserving drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside. Sauté scallions in drippings until translucent. Stir in the brown sugar, ¼ cup water, vinegar, pickle juice, parsley, salt, and celery seed. Simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine flour and remaining ¼ cup water until smooth; stir into onion mixture. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over potatoes. Add bacon; gently stir to coat. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.

This post is linked to:


2 comments:

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

I love any kind of potato salad and this recipe sounds wonderful.

It will be hard all the holidays without Mr. OP, but things will get better Pattie. Just remember he is not in pain anymore and you have wonderful memories.

Have a good week and keep busy.

Mary

Miz Helen said...

Hi Patti,
My heart goes out to you, but glad to see you are cooking wonderful food again. This is a recipe that I will be trying maybe even this weekend, it looks awesome! I really appreciate you sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday and hope you have a great weekend!
Come Back Soon,
Miz Helen