Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Trisha's Table, a Review

The first thing I do when I get a new cookbook is to flip through it checking for pictures and to get an overall feel of the book. This delightful addition to Trisha Yearwood's offerings is bursting with color. The photos are mouthwatering, vivid, and plentiful, including those of Yearwood, I mean, look at her.  Beautiful!
She mentions that in the last five years she has adopted an 80/20 rule when it comes to dining.  80% of the time she makes good choices, and 20% of the time she allows herself to splurge.  Both types of recipes are reflected in this book. Whatever she's doing it seems to be working for both her and her family. Isn't this really what it's all about?  Making good choices and sticking to them for the sake of health, but then allowing a splurge or two for the sake of the soul? I need to adopt this platform myself.
Reading this book and Yearwood's thoughts and reminisces give you a cozy feeling, like sipping lemonade on a warm summer's day. Down home stories and remembrances precede each recipe. Clearly Yearwood and I like the same food because, with the possible exception of the pickled okra and tofu anything, there was not one recipe that I didn't want to try. And who doesn't love a woman who places Cran-Apple Crisp among the breakfast offerings? 
The book is easy to navigate.  It is divided into nine sections according to meal or type of food: breakfast; snacks and appetizers; soups and salads; beef and pork; chicken, turkey and fish; pasta; sides; cakes, cupcakes and pies; cookies, brownies, bars and more. It also has a comprehensive index in case you are looking for something more specific.
 

Recommended.

Disclosure: I received this book from Blogging for Books in exchange for this honest review.

3 comments:

Carole said...

Thanks, I'm ordering this one up from the library. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

Mimi said...

They look like my kinda recipes Pattie. I'll see if our local library will get it in for me. Mimi xxx

martinealison said...

Bonjour chère amie,

Un grand merci pour le partage et la découverte de livre de cuisine qui me semble fascinant.

❀ ♡ Gros bisous ♡ ❀