Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Not Your Momma’s M&M Cookies

This is a recipe born of necessity. Namely, my overwhelming need to rid the house of all of the leftover Halloween Candy that Mr. O-P was possessed to buy despite our history of few, if any, Trick-or-Treaters. Sigh. I have brownie ideas marinating in my head at the moment with an eye toward eliminating the mini Snickers, Milky Way, and Three Musketeers bars, but today I tackled the M&Ms.

Because I like M&Ms (and, really, who doesn't?), I also like M&M cookies. Largely, though, I've found M&M cookies to be simply clones of chocolate chip cookies with the candy in place of the chocolate chips. I wanted to give mine a little extra crunch and flavor, so added brickle bits to the recipe. Oh, yeah, these are good.

This recipe goes together easily, and has a great crumb, thanks to the combined use of both butter and margarine. Do not wander from this combination. You need both to get the perfect texture and the right cookie chubby-ness.

These freeze beautifully if you'd like to make them now and save them for the holidays.

Not Your Momma’s M&M Cookies

1/2 cup margarine (1 stick)
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2  tsp. salt
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
2/3 cup Bits ‘O Brickle chips
1 cup M&M candies

Preheat the oven to 375°F.

Cream the margarine and butter with the brown and granulated sugars. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until fluffy.

In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt, and add to the creamed mixture. Stir in the semi-sweet, milk chocolate, and brickle chips. Fold in the M&Ms.

Drop rounded spoonfuls of batter 2 inches apart onto a baking sheet. Bake the cookies until they're pale golden brown, 12 to 14 minutes.

Makes 4 dozen cookies.


This post is linked to:

2 comments:

Alycia Nichols said...

I've never bought/used margarine, so this will be a great test for me! I like cookies with a great texture, so this is the key to getting them, huh?? Hooray! And my non-cooking Momma will be happy to partake!!! :-)

I like it that you're experimenting with various leftover candies. What else (other than eating it outright) can be done with it all??!?!! We had a lot left over this year. I've given most of it away to ADULTS!!!

Have a happy Wednesday!

NewMrsAdventures said...

I love M&M cookies, and these look delicious!! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! Your recipe has been pinned to the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! Please join us again this week!