Saturday, October 11, 2014

Kicked-Up Boursin Cheese Ball

Hands up if you like cheese balls.  Yep, me too, but you do know that we’re dating ourselves, right?  The cheese ball was popular in the seventies.  I don’t think my parents ever had a party without one.  Personally, I loved them, but then my mother was a very good cook, and had a wide variety of recipes for interesting cheese balls that went well beyond the insipid ones that eventually drove them all into obscurity.

I recently read an article that said the cheese ball is coming back.  I’m pleased with this.  Perhaps its my love of nostalgia; perhaps its my love of the toasted pecan coating.  Who knows?  But hearing this news made my heart sing just a little, and sent me into the kitchen to experiment.

I was feeling rather spicy today, so took my favorite homemade Boursin cheese recipe, kicked it up with some Hatch chile powder, rolled it into toasted pecans, and ended up with this very easy, very delicious modern day cheese ball that, once tasted, did not last long.
It’s a light snack, perfect for before dinner, pairs nicely with either red or white wine, and you have to admit, looks darned cute on this Recycled Wine Bottle Platter from Uncommon Goods (and it comes with that darling little spreader!).  The glasses are theirs as well, and I just cannot get enough of these.

Planning your weekend?  Plan on a cheese ball!

Kicked-Up Boursin Cheese Ball
1 medium garlic clove, finely chopped
1/2 stick butter, room temperature
1-8 oz. package Philadelphia Cream Cheese, room temperature
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese 
1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried chives
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
1-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon Hatch Chile powder (or to taste)
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Finely chop pecans.  Spread chopped pecans on a baking sheet and bake for 5-7 minutes until nicely toasted.  Cool; set aside. (I use a countertop toaster/convection oven and my nose as the determination for length of baking time.  I’ll check on them after 3 minutes and then 5.  When they smell deliciously toasty they’re done.)

In a medium mixing bowl, beat together the butter and cheese.  If it is truly at room temperature, it will blend together quickly and be very creamy.  Add garlic; blend.  Add all remaining ingredients and mix well.  Chill for 15-30 minutes.  When chilled, roll into a ball.  Roll in reserved pecans to coat, pressing into the cheese ball to adhere, if necessary.  Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.

Bring to room temperature. Serve with crudités or crackers.  Recipe can be doubled. 

This post is linked to:


5 comments:

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Oh this is great! Loving this cheese ball and will make it for my next dinner party and even tea party! Thanks for sharing lovely lady. Just pinned it too.
Enjoy your weekend.
FABBY

Marigene said...

I am glad to hear cheese balls are making a comeback...they were the first thing I would head for at a party! Thanks for sharing your recipe, I will be making it for my next luncheon.

In Good Flavor /Food for the Finicky said...

I love the photography! The cheese ball looks to pretty to dig into...almost. Thanks for the great recipe. Pinning.

Miz Helen said...

I just love the spices in your Cheese Ball Patti. Hope you are having a great day and thanks so much for sharing your awesome post with Full Plate Thursday!
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Marigene said...

Pattie, I have made this twice in the past week and half...it is very addictive! Thanks for sharing.