Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Multitasking with Rosemary


I recently read a report that claimed that inhaling the scent of Rosemary could actually improve memory. To what degree it didn't say, but it does give a whole new meaning to the phrase Rosemary for Remembrance, one that I always viewed romantically. 

I also recently read that hanging a bundle of fresh rosemary in the shower would give off a heady aroma that, mixed in with the steam, was supposed to have calming effects. Memory I have in spades, being calm is about as foreign to me as a Greek soldier on leave (now, ya see, I'm thinking romantically again).  

To make a long story, less long, I tried the bundled rosemary thing. I clipped about six sprigs of rosemary from my plant, secured them with a green twist tie (classy, huh, but wait, it gets classier) and then secured the, well, I might as well say it, bread tie, to a rubber band and hung it over the shower head. I then turned on the shower to get the room very steamy and prepared myself to be soothed. Nothing. Not even the tiniest whiff. (Insert heavy, disappointed sigh.) 

Back into the shower this morning (I am nothing if not squeaky clean), and there was the rosemary from yesterday, mocking me. So, I wrung its little neck compressed the stems and leaves to allow release of the oils, and turned on the shower. It worked!  I felt as if I were showering in the woods. So heady, so calming, and improving my memory at the same time. What a productive way to start the day. I mean, how often can one multitask in the shower?

Just a relaxing little midweek tip for you.

This post is linked to:

3 comments:

My thrift store addiction said...

Hi there! I hopped over from What's It Wednesday. I loved your post!I could relate--I had a similar experience ;) I sell organic herbs on Etsy & rosemary is my favorite!

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

That is cool it finally worked for you,
I could use the memory part for sure.
Now to find some rosemary.....lol

Pretty pictures.........and enjoy those soothing showers.

Blessings, Nellie

Kathy said...

I'm going to have to give this a try! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
Kathy