Thursday, September 4, 2014

Hot Chicken Salad


All the while I was growing up, and continuing until the very end of her life, my mother played bridge.  She was in a variety of bridge groups.  A bridge group, for the uninformed, consists of a table of four ladies, one of whom is the hostess and who provides the lunch; the other three are guests who rotate taking turns as hostess.  (Often times there are bridge parties, consisting of two to four tables of bridge with prizes given to the high scorers, but that's another matter.)  The bridge groups met regularly, so these active ladies could fully plan their schedules.  There was the First Monday bridge group, the Second Tuesday bridge group, and the Third Thursday bridge group.  Sometimes there were conflicts and the First Monday group would have to be moved to Tuesday, or the Second Tuesday group would be moved to the third Tuesday, or the Third Thursday group would be moved to Friday or the following Monday, unless that Monday happened to be a first Monday wherein it would be moved to Tuesday.  Does this sound a little bit like a Who's on First? routine?  Yep, it used to sound that way to me, too.

The women in these groups were avid players.  Nothing, and I do mean NOTHING, would stop them from a game, even, as it once turned out, poor health.  I will never forget one autumn gathering when, after the morning hands were played and a nice lunch consumed, one of the ladies simply slid off her chair and passed away at mother's bridge party.  I still remember my shocked mother's rather inappropriate, yet hilarious response, when, shaking her head sadly she said, Well, at least she had a good lunch.

Good lunches were a given.  One thing was for certain, a lot of chicken salad was served, and in endless varieties.  My mother grew to hate chicken salad over the years, and always strove to serve something unique.  I quite like chicken salad myself, this recipe in particular.  It is one that I copied down back in the early eighties when I first married, and seeking something to prepare that was delicious, yet uncomplicated.  Every time I eat it, I think, with fondness, of those bridge groups and the lovely ladies who comprised them.  I wonder if women still play bridge?  I never caught the bug, but I do play a mean game of gin, so if you do too, deal me in!

Hot Chicken Salad


1-1/2 cups cooked chicken breast, cubed
3/4 cup diced celery
1/4 cup diced scallions
1/2 cup pecans, roughly chopped
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup Hellman’s mayonnaise
2 Tablespoons whole milk
1/2 cup sharp Cheddar, grated
1/2 cup Smoked Gouda, grated
2/3 cup crushed potato chips

Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 2-quart ovenproof dish with vegetable spray and set aside.

Place roughly chopped pecans on a baking sheet, and then into the preheated oven; toast until aromatic, about 5-7 minutes.  Cool.

In a large mixing bowl combine the chicken, celery, scallions, cooled toasted pecans, garlic salt, pepper, lemon juice, mayonnaise, milk, and cheeses. Place the mixture in the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the crushed potato chips on top to cover. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until bubbly.

Serves 4 Bridge Ladies

This post is linked to:


5 comments:

Denise said...

Hi Pattie,

I love this recipe -- I've had this dish too, and it is delicious!! I see it a lot in our local cookbooks, with slight variations. I think yours looks wonderful! :) I've never made it myself; I had it at a catered office lunch years ago. I've pinned your recipe and I'll definitely have to make it now. Thank you for sharing this!

Hugs,

Denise at Forest Manor

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Pattie, this really looks delicious, and while I have seen variations of this, I love the fact that there are pecans in it. I am definitely copying this,
Xo

Sheila :-)

Cathy said...

This sounds delicious. My mom made something similar and added some white rice to it. It's now my grandson's favorite. It's on my list of best comfort foods.

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

I don't remember ever having this recipe for chicken salad, and my beloved Mom made chicken salad a lot. I remember my Mom getting together with the ladies and boy would they have fun.... Thanks so much for sharing the recipe at Sunday's Best. Have a great evening!

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

This sounds so good and I am such a chicken person. My Mom used to make a tuna casserole with potato chips. What I really like about the recipe is that you use all "real" ingredients. I don't like recipes with "canned soup" in them. Thanks for sharing at Sunday's Best, it was nice to hear from you again. Please come join the party again today!