Friday, August 22, 2014

Sorrel & Watermelon Salad with Feta


I always enjoy my little deck potager, but never so much as when the vegetable drawer in the fridge is relatively bare and I'm looking for a refreshing starter for dinner. I'm growing sorrel this year -- a first for me -- and was delighted to find that, unlike many leafy greens, its growing cycle extends well beyond spring. In fact, it seems to thrive in summer weather. 
I made great use of it last evening when I created this cool and refreshing watermelon and feta salad. Talk about easy!  Three ingredients, attractively layered on a plate, and drizzled with homemade poppyseed dressing. If you're short on time, a purchased poppyseed dressing would work just as well. It was well received at dinner, but would also make an excellent side salad for a special lunch. Cool, crisp, and easy, it's the perfect summer salad.

Poppyseed Dressing

1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup raspberry vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon grated yellow onion
1 cup canola oil
1 tablespoon poppy seeds

In a blender or food processor, combine sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard and onion and process for 20 seconds. With blender or food processor on high, gradually add oil in a slow, steady stream. Stir in poppy seeds. 

This post is linked to:

No comments: