Thursday, July 3, 2014

Creamy Lemon Dill Sauce

Food bloggers, I think, all have different motivations for starting/writing their blogs. Initially my hope was to be able to teach my two daughters-in-law how to cook. To be able to share with them some special recipes from my (and my sons' -- their husbands') past, and acquaint them with family history at the same time. To provide cheap sustenance that got me through some lean times, easy meals that got me through some frazzled times, and comfort foods to enjoy around the Sunday dinner table. 

I was not entirely successful. It's not, I find, my daughters-in-law who read my blog, but my two sons!  They are the ones calling me from the grocery store asking about recipe ingredients, and they are the ones who often prepare the food. Go figure. 

I've wandered a bit from the point that I was planning to make, albeit not entirely. When I first began the blog, I was more focused on giving recipes for complete meals and main dishes. Something that would make a nice presentation from stove to table, and be welcomed by the family. What I failed to include were some of the key components to these recipes, namely the dips, relishes, condiments, and sauces that can sometimes make or break a dish. 

So today's saucy little post, yes, pun very much intended, is about fresh dill sauce. It's easy to make, and beautifully accompanies salmon, scallops, crab cakes, almost any form of seafood. A dollop can also enhance homemade salad dressings, deviled eggs, egg, chicken, and potato salads.

The secret is fresh herbs and lots of them.  Follow this recipe and you will be scooping it out of the bowl and eating it like a dip. There is nothing like fresh, and there is nothing like this bit of dill sauce perfection. Add it to your recipe repertoire and be prepared to turn plain into fancy.

Creamy Lemon Dill Sauce

2/3 cup mayonnaise
2/3 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons green onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh dill, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon cilantro, finely chopped (optional)
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
Old Bay (pinch)
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix mayonnaise with sour cream. Add remaining ingredients and whisk until thoroughly blended.  Store in the fridge for up to 4 days. 
In case you are interested, this darling little sauce dish is from One King's Lane.

This post is linked to:

2 comments:

Babs said...

Your lemon dill sauce looks delicious. The pinch of Old Bay is something I wouldn't have thought about. Gotta try it. LOVE the little fish sauce dish and your styling/photos.

Mary said...

Your dip/sauce sounds delicious garnished with your flowering dill! Love your adorable fish plate too :)