Thursday, November 29, 2012

Pumpkin Pancakes with Cranberry Syrup


Yesterday I told you how to use up all of those leftovers from Thanksgiving dinner with the exception of the cranberries.  Here’s a way to use any cranberries that remain from your various relish and chutney making endeavors, and have a wonderful fall breakfast to boot.  I gave you the recipe for pumpkin pancakes here, so all you need to do now is make the syrup.

Pumpkin Pancakes with Cranberry Syrup

1/3 cup sugar
3/4 cup fresh cranberries
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup maple syrup

Cook sugar in a dry 1 1/2-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, undisturbed, until it begins to melt. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally with a fork, until sugar is melted and turns a medium golden caramel color.  This can be tricky because everyone seems to have his or her own mental imagine of what caramel color is (which explains why my husband tends to burn it), so it’s best to err on the lighter rather than darker side. Tilt pan and slowly add cranberries and water (caramel will begin to harden and steam). Simmer over moderately low heat, stirring, until caramel is completely dissolved.  Pour syrup through a sieve into a heatproof bowl, pressing hard on solids. I like some of the solids in my syrup, so I scoop some out of the sieve and add them to the syrup.  Allow to cool slightly, and then stir in the maple syrup.

This post is linked to:

2 comments:

April said...

I've seen quite a few pumpkin pancake recipes floating around, and have been intrigued, but you SOLD me with cranberry syrup!! Cranberry is one of favorite seasonal flavors!! These look delicious :) I'm stopping by from Foodie Friday, see you around!
~April @dimplesanddelights.blogspot.com

Mary said...

Oh my...this just takes those pumpkin pancakes over the top! What a wonderful leftover idea! I can only imagine the combination of flavors, I would love some for dinner!