Saturday, November 10, 2012

Hatch Chile Smores


 As I've mentioned before, the backs of product packages are great places to find good recipes like the one I found here for mushroom soup.   Another excellent source is the manufacturer’s website.  The goal, of course, is to sell their products, and what better way than with a great recipe.  This is how I happened to find myself rummaging through the Melissa's Produce website, a package of Hatch Chile Powder in hand.  I was expecting recipes for stew or chili.  I was not expecting this easy and surprisingly good recipe for smores.


Former Girl Scout that I am, I consider myself something of an expert here, so I had to try these.  I had everything on hand and, with the exception of the chocolate drying time, these took only minutes to prepare.   They are also really good!  The hatch chile powder provides heat and a light smokiness.  One bite and chocolate warmth spreads throughout your mouth.  One of these will not be enough; you will have to have more.  I topped mine with a light dusting of fleur de sel.  You might want to try sanding sugar, sprinkles, or even red hots.  Whatever you choose, it’s a tasty way to warm up your palate on a frosty evening.

Hatch Chile Smores

5 Graham Crackers -- halved then quartered
10 Marshmallows
1/2cup   Chocolate Chips
1/2 teaspoon New Mexico Hatch Chile Powder 
Preheat the oven to 350ยบF.
On a baking sheet, place half of the cracker quarters.  Top each cracker with a marshmallow and place in the oven.  Bake until the marshmallow begins to melt, about 5 minutes.  Remove the crackers from the oven and immediately top them with the remaining cracker quarters, pressing down slightly.  Melt the chocolate in the microwave and mix in the chile powder.  Dip each cookie in the chocolate, coating all sides and place on parchment pepper to dry.  Makes 10 smores.

This post is linked to:

No comments: