Monday, September 10, 2012

Tarragon Creamed Corn



If you are a regular reader of this blog, then you know that I subscribe to a lot of foodie newsletters.  One of my favorites is Tasting Table because of the unique recipes they post, as well as interesting bits about new restaurants, wine pairings, places to dine while on the road, AND they have an app!  I LOVE apps!

I discovered this recipe in a recent TT newsletter.  As I’m still cooking for my dad while my mom is working her little heart out in rehab, and since I didn’t scare him away with last week’s purple potatoes, decided to give this tarragon-infused creamed corned a try.  If you’re anything like me, the creamed corn of your youth (and seriously, how many adults would eat that stuff?) was not a whole lot more than insipid lumpy mush in a can.  This recipe is going to change the way you feel about creamed corn.  It will come out of the deep, dark, depths of your pantry onto the elegant dining table you’ve set for guests.  Dad, a.k.a. Mr. Meat-and-Potatoes, deemed it excellent, and I have to agree.  I did lighten up my version by using whole milk in place of the cream, and substituted same for half of the water.

Tarragon Creamed Corn
Adapted from Andrew Ticer & Michael Hudman, Hog & Hominy, Memphis, TN 

Yield: Serves 4
Cook Time: 20 minutes

INGREDIENTS

3 large ears corn--husked, kernels sliced off and cobs reserved*
1 cup heavy cream (I used whole milk)
1 cup water (I used 1/2 c. water & 1/2 cup whole milk)
2 sprigs fresh tarragon plus more to garnish
½ cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS

In a large saucepan set over high heat, bring the corn cobs, cream, water and tarragon to a boil. Turn off the heat and set aside for 10 minutes. Use tongs to remove and discard the cobs.


In a medium saucepan, add the corn kernels and strain the cob-infused cream mixture through a fine-mesh sieve over the kernels. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the corn is tender and plump, about 10 minutes.

Using a blender, purée one-third of the corn mixture with the Parmigiano-Reggiano until smooth, then return the mixture to the saucepan with the corn. Season with salt and pepper and serve warm.

*If you don’t have a Corn Zipper, hop on over to Amazon and get one, now!  It makes amazingly short work of extracting kernels from the cob.  Once you get one of these you’ll find yourself making good use of all of the seasonal corn when it’s available in your area in soups, chowders, stews, breads, creamed, or sliced right from the cob and lightly buttered.



1 comment:

Mich Piece of Cake said...

Creamed corn is my favourite, this looks like a great easy recipe.